Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Look at Hasbro's SDCC Exclusives

Well, San Diego Comic Con has come and gone this year. I wish I could have gone. But unfortunately, I live in Illinois, which is not so close to California. It would be hard enough for me to save up the money I would need to buy toys and comics, let alone travel expenses.

And the thing that always makes not going even worse are all of those wonderful Exclusives SDCC always gets. Sometimes I get lucky, and the same Exclusives are offered at Wizard world Chicago, which is a much more doable 3 hour drive for me. But for the most part, if there is something that I want, I have to rely on paying inflated prices on Ebay, or hoping I can find someone nice enough to sang what I want and ship it to me.


This year, Hasbro seemed to have a lot of really cool exclusives that I wanted to get my hands on. And due to how awesome Hasbro is, I was given my chance to get them at normal cost!


Hasbrotoyshop.com is a life saver. And a wallet saver. Habsro was able to list a limited quantity of several of their SDCC Exclusives for sale on their site shortly after SDCC ended. And I was lucky enough to pick a few of them up!


Now, just a forewarning: I have a hard time opening Exclusives. The packaging and such always ends up looking so cool on these figures, that I end up leaving them MOC or MIB, and I display them that way. That happened with every figure I recently purchased from Hasbro. So, you just have to deal with my pictures the way they are.


Let's start off by taking a look at Hasbro's Marvel Legends line, where they offered not one, but TWO cool exclusives this year. The first one is a She-Hulk in her Fantastic Four costume. It's a cool figure, but not one I felt I needed to buy. The only Exclusive ML I was interested in, was Stan "The Man" Lee!


Stan Lee gets his very first Marvel Legends action figure! I was wondering how long it would take to get this inevitable figure! And how sweet he is! The packaging on the figure is great in itself. A really cool window box displays the figure, with a fold up flap revealing Spider-Man accessories! Yes, Stan Lee's clothes are removable, revealing Spider-Man's costume! In reality, this is three figures in one! It can be Stan Lee, it can be Spider-man, or it can be Peter Parker! All of the parts are included to display the figure however you'd like! Very cool! It's almost a shame I'm leaving mine in the box. ;)



The next figure I was interested in is a part of Hasbro's new 25th Anniversery Collection of G.I. Joe figures! Many fans know this figure as "Pimp Daddy" Destro! This figure is a throwback to an old Destro figure that came out with the same wild paint scheme. the original figure is a rare find these days, as the outfit was so gaudy Hasbro immediately decided to switch his costume back to the black outfit Destro was known for. This figure also has a metallic head, available in either silver or gold. gold was already sold out, but that's OK with me. I like the silver one better.



And last but not least, my favorite collection of them all, Star Wars! The SDCC exclusive this year was part of the new Ralph McQuarrie Concept figures, which I absolutely love! these figures are based on Ralph's original artwork that helped bring George Lucas' vision to life! Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, packaged together, make up this awesome exclusive. And what a difference in design they are! Can you imagine if this is how they turned out int he films? This is a great two pack, and remains my favorite of the SDCC Exclusives I was able to snag.



I also was able to snag the R2-KT "Make a Wish" figure. This wasn't an SDCC exclusive, but it was an online exclusive, and it's for a good cause. I couldn't pass it up.



So, as you can see, I lucked out! I didn't even have to pay inflated prices for any of these figures! that's a win for the good guys! Take that, you scalper scum!

Until next time!

No comments: